Rillettes is a preparation of meat similar to pâté. Originally made with pork, the meat is cubed or chopped, salted heavily and cooked slowly in fat until it is tender enough to be easily shredded, and then cooled with enough of the fat to form a paste. They are normally used as spread on bread or toast and served at room temperature.
Rillettes are also made with other meats, goose, duck, chicken, game birds, rabbit and sometimes with fish such as anchovies, tuna or salmon.
Here is a light and healthy recipe made with shrimps!
- Shrimps/prawns: 250 g (black tiger if available)
- Olive oil: as appropriate
- Brandy: as appropriate
- A Butter:
- Butter: 1/2 tablespoon
- Garlic: 1/2 teaspoon (chopped finely)
- Carrot: 1 tablepoon (chopped finely)
- Parsley: 1 sprig (chopped finely)
- Tomato juice: equivalent of 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- B Butter
- Butter: 125 g (1/4 pound)
- Salt: a little
- Cayenne pepper/Chili pepper: as appropriate
- -Fry the shrimps/prawns whole with their shells in olive oil until their insides are cooked. Flambe them with Brandy. Once compeltely cooled down, extract the flaesh out the shell and mince the flesh very finely.
- -In a pan drop the A butter and all chopped vegetables and fry until soft. Pour the tomato juice and stirby hand. Let simmer over a weak fire for 20~30 minutes.
- -Pass the shrimps and vegetables through a sieve/chinois to obtain a paste.
- -In a bowl drop the B butter and let it warm up to room temperature. Add sieved shrimps and vegetables and mix thoroughly until you obtain a smooth paste. Check taste. Add salt and cayenne pepper as appropriate. Leave inside refrigerator for at least a couple of hours.
- -Before eating it, bring it back to room temperature and serve with thin slices of French bread. There should be enough for 10 people (as an appetizer!)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 60g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 167||91%|
|Total Fat 18.98g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 12.0g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.92g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|