Cost per serving $4.05 view details
- 24 x Boiling onions
- 2 c. Chicken stock or possibly canned low-salt broth
- 1/4 c. Ouzo (unsweetened anise liqueur) or possibly, dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh oregano or possibly 1 teaspoon dry, crumbled
- Â Â Grnd saffron
- 1Â 1/2 lb Uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 4 sm Zucchini, cut into 1" long pcs
- 2 lrg Red bell peppers, cut into, 1" squares
- 1Â 1/2 lrg Yellow bell peppers, cut into, 1" squares
- 18 x Bamboo skewers, soaked 30 min, in water
- 1 c. Orzo, (rice-shaped pasta)
- Bring large saucepan of water to boil. Add in onions and boil 5 min.
- Drain. Cold and peel onions. Mix 1/2 c. stock, ouzo, garlic, oil, oregano and generous healthy pinch of saffron in large bowl. Add in onions, shrimp, zucchini and bell peppers; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Chill 2 hrs, tossing occasionally. Remove shrimp and vegetables from marinade: reserve marinade. Thread 4 shrimp on each of 6 skewers. Alternate vegetables on 12 skewers using 3 red bell pepper squares, 2 onions, 2 yellow bell pepper squares and 2 zucchini pcs for each. (Can be made 4 hrs ahead. Cover and refrigerateskewers and marinade separately.) Pour reserved marinade into heavy medium saucepan. Add in 1 1/2 c. stock; bring to boil. Stir in orzo and generous healthy pinch of saffron. Reduce heat, cover and simmer till orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 20 min. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, preheat broiler.
- Place vegetables on baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from heat source till vegetables are light brown and crisp- tender, turning every 3 min, about 15 min. Place on plate; tent with foil. Place shrimp on baking sheet and broil till cooked through, about 3 min per side.
- Spoon orzo onto plates. Top with 2 vegetable skewers and 1 shrimp skewer
- NOTES : Part of Greek Dinner for 6. Poached dry figs topped with honeyed yogurt makes a great dessert. Serve with White Bean Skordalia with Pita crisp for appetizer and Fennel, RTed Onion and Tangerine Salad.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 790g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 50||10%|
|Total Fat 5.69g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.05g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 76.53g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.7g||36%|