This family turkey stuffing recipe is great. It's a bit old school since it calls for cooking the stuffing in the bird. But it's been a big winner in my family for over 60 years!
- For a 12 lb. turkey
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 12 ton 14 cups cubed toasted white bread
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 eggs, mixed with a fork
- about 2 cups milk
- Put the bread (toast) cubes in a large pot.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter, add onion and celery and cook until soft. Add finely chopped turkey liver (if desired) at the end. It only takes a minute to cook.
- Pour this mixture over the bread cubes in the pot and stir. Add eggs and 1 cup milk. Stir to mix. (My hands seem to work the best and mixing everything together!) Add milk slowly to the pot - about a 1/2 cup or so at a time to test - you want the bread mixture moist but not soggy.
- (For a 15 or 16 lb. turkey, use 20 cups of bread cubes and add more celery, onion, butter, etc. accordingly. Also use 4 eggs and 3 cups milk.)
- Stuff bird tightly and put extra stuffing under the neck skin and close with tooth picks or a skewer if you don't have turkey "thingies". Bake breast side up. Good luck!
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1956g|
|Calories from Fat 2592||55%|
|Total Fat 292.34g||365%|
|Saturated Fat 150.34g||601%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 396.66g||106%|
|Dietary Fiber 16.0g||53%|