Cost per serving $1.42 view details
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green jalapeno pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Chopped parsley
- 1, 25oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup of crumbled Feta cheese
- A generous handful of chopped fresh parsley
- The best quality, doughy, squishy pita bread, warmed or toasted.
- In a medium saute pan heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes on a low heat until golden.
- Add the garlic and the pepper. I only used half the pepper as I don't like it too hot - let your preference be your guide.
- Add the chopped parsley and cumin, saute for a further few minutes until the onion is beginning to caramelize. Don't burn the garlic!
- Pour in the tomato sauce, bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer away for a few minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a small dish or bowl, make a little well for it in the tomato sauce and slip it in. Add the other eggs, cover and let the eggs poach in the sauce. This won't take long - around 3-5 minutes.
- While the eggs cook, warm your pita bread.
- Take the pan off the heat, sprinkle with as much feta cheese as you wish and top with more chopped parsley.
- Serve with the warmed pita bread and green salad for a killer lunch or easy supper.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 286g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 98||46%|
|Total Fat 11.05g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 5.66g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||14%|