Easy one-pot chicken and brown rice entree in a delicious tomato sauce with veggies. Great for Friday night Shabbat dinner. Easy to double or triple this recipe--great for lots of people coming to dinner. This is one of my family's favorites!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 6 minced cloves garlic
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 diced zucchini
- 2-3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 cup long-cooking brown rice
- Chicken (1 whole chicken cut up with skin removed or 8-10 pieces of white and/or dark meat with skin removed. Can use bone in or boneless chicken breasts and/or thighs. I use 4 skinless and boneless breasts and 6 skinless and boneless thighs.)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (can use more if want it more tomatoey)
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large frying pan or dutch oven over low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add rest of veggies and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Mix sauce ingredients together (tomato paste, soy sauce and water)
- Add rice to veggies, stir to mix.
- Place chicken pieces on top of rice and veggie mixture.
- Pour sauce over the chicken so it's entirely coated.
- Do not stir.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover and let the chicken and rice continue to boil with the lowest possible heat.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Stir everything together and check if the rice is cooked enough.
- May need to cook for another 5-15 minutes until the rice is soft enough to your taste.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 213g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 58||48%|
|Total Fat 6.67g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1.28g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 9.08g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|