Cost per serving $4.54 view details
- 2 c. carrot juice
- 1/2 c. dry white wine or possibly dry vermouth
- 3 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 med shallot finely minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp. chilled unsalted butter cut in 8 pcs
- 8 x fresh marjoram sprigs - (3" ea) tied together
- Â Â with kitchen twine
- 1Â 1/2 lb large sea scallops - (abt 12)
- Â Â Coarse salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or possibly extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, combine carrot juice, 1/4 c. wine, lemon juice, shallot, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat just sufficient to maintain a steady boil. Cook till slightly thickened (it should resemble the consistency of pulpy orange juice) and reduced to about 1/2 c., 20 to 30 min.
- Reduce heat, and very gently simmer the carrot reduction. Whisk in butter one piece at a time, waiting till each piece is melted and incorporated before adding another. The sauce should be thickened sufficient to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Return the sauce to a simmer, whisking constantly. Submerge the bundle of marjoram in the sauce, and remove from heat. Let marjoram infuse sauce while you cook the scallops.
- Heat oven to 175 degrees. Turn off the oven, and place a platter in it to hot. If the scallops have small, loosely attached, rectangular pcs of white muscle on their sides, pull them off, and throw away. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels, and season all sides lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed saute/fry pan over high heat till it is very warm and smoking. Using tongs, carefully place the scallops flat-side down in the pan. Let the scallops cook undisturbed till they are golden, 2 to 3 min. Turn, and cook till the other side is browned, 1 to 2 min. Transfer scallops to warmed platter. Reduce heat to medium, and pour in remaining 1/4 c. wine. Scrape up browned bits, then add in liquid to carrot mix.
- Remove marjoram bundle from carrot sauce, squeeze it dry, and throw away. Reheat sauce over medium heat, whisking constantly. Taste, and adjust seasoning. For a very smooth texture, pass sauce through a very fine strainer. If the sauce begins to separate or possibly the butter comes to surface in droplets, blend the sauce for a few seconds using an immersion blender.
- Divide scallops among warmed dinner plates, and pour carrot sauce around them. Serve.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 332g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 114||35%|
|Total Fat 12.99g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 7.47g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 15.78g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|