Roasted sweet red bell peppers, artichoke hearts, and andouille lend this paella an interesting array of flavors that show the Spanish origins of Creole Jambalaya. With a garlic baguette and a side salad it serves 6-8. Preparation time: 60-90 minutes
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 lb Frozen Mixed Seafood (not thawed)
- 1/2 lb Shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 lb Scallops
- 1/2 lb Andouille Sausage cut into 1/2â rings, then quartered
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 can Whole Tomatoes, large, with liquid
- 1 can Artichoke Hearts, 14-ounce, with liquid
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 can Chicken broth + 1/2 can water
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Core and seed and then roast a red bell pepper over flames (BBQ grill, blow torch, gas range) or broiler until charred and getting soft. Do NOT remove the tasty blackened bits. Cut into strips.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a paella pan or wide deep covered skillet, to medium high. Add the andouille and sautÃ© until lightly browned. Remove.
- Add a bit more oil, if necessary,and cook the onion and garlic until transparent. Add the rice, toss with the onion, and cook for 5 minutes. Return the andouille, and add tomatoes, broth, saffron, salt, and peppers. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Cut up the tomatoes in the pan.
- Add the artichoke hearts and seafood and cook 10-15 minutes, scraping the bottom to prevent sticking, until the liquids are mostly absorbed and the rice is tender. Crusty bottom rice is especially prized by paella afficinados...
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 264g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 199||41%|
|Total Fat 22.26g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 5.78g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 44.83g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|