An old time PA German dish, a favorite of my grandmother!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
Cost per serving $0.09 view details
- 1 and 1/2 pounds cured ham
- 2 cups dried apples (schnitz)
- 2 T. brown sugar
- dumplings (knepp):
- 2 cups flour
- 3 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 T. butter
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- Cover dried apples with water, and soak overnight.
- In the morning, cover ham with cold water and cook slowly for 3 hours.
- Add apples and water they soaked in, brown sugar, and cook 1 hour longer.
- To make dumplings, sift together dry ingredients.
- Stir in beaten egg, and melted butter.
- Add enough milk to make a batter stiff enough to drop from a spoon.
- Drop by spoonsful into boiling ham and apples, cover pan tightly.
- Cook 10 to 12 minutes (do not lift cover until ready to serve).
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 77g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 20||10%|
|Total Fat 2.29g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.08g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.42g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|