In spite of all those vegan and vegetarian postings, I’m not ready yet to abandon meat, especially liver, which particularly healthy and tasty as far as meat comes!
The Russians do have a gastronomy, and a very homey one at that in spite of all these platters of caviar, and smoked salmon washed down with vodka or Georgia (former Russian Republic!) wine!
- Potatoes: 2 (may Queen, or potatoes that fry well)
- Unsalted butter (A): 20 g
- Salt and black pepper: a little of each
- Liver: 200 g (pork or veal according to your priorities. sliced)
- Onions: 2
- Wine vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Basalmico vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Unsalted butter (B): 30 g
- Unsalted butter (C): 20 g
- Light flour, salt, black pepper: a little of each
- Parsley: a little (finely chopped)
- Garlic: a little (finely chopped)
- Balck pepper: to taste (coarsely ground)
- -Peel onions, cut in half, cut across and along and chop into 7~8 mm wide pieces.
- Transfer into an oven dish. Add a little salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil (not included in the ingredients). Mix well. Wrap it closed with some cellophane paper.
- Cook inside microwave oven for 5~7 minutes at 600 W.
- This step will help the onions to sweeten up and will improve the overall taste.
- -Peel the potatoes. Boil them as they are. Once cooked, cut them into 1 cm thick slices.
- In a frypan melt unsalted butter (A), fry the potatoes lightly into it. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer in a separate hot dish for keeping.
- -in the same frypan melt unsalted butter (b) and fry the onions in it until they get lightly brown and sweet. Transfer into a separate hot dish for keeping.
- -Coat the sliced liver with a little salt, black pepper and flour. In the same frypan melt unsalted butter (C) with the olive oil and saute the liver in it.
- -Once the liver slices are properly cooked on both sides, add the blsamico vinegar and saute for a while to allow the balsamico vinegar to penetrate into the liver. Transfer into a separate dish.
- -In the same frypan transfer the onions back and fry them into the juices laying at the bottom of your frypan. Saute them to let them absorb those juices. Add wine vinegar and sautee long enough for the final touch.
- -On a serving plate, first lay the sliced potatoes.
- Lay the onions over the potatoes.
- Lay the liver over the onions.
- Think of presentation when arranging them on the plate. Look at pic above!
- Season the whole by sprinkling the chopped leeks, chopped garlic and coarsely ground black pepper.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 327g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1331||93%|
|Total Fat 151.35g||189%|
|Saturated Fat 89.07g||356%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 19.51g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|