Cost per serving $1.91 view details
- 1/2 c. Sour bread starter
- 2 c. Hot water of potato water
- 3Â 1/2 c. Rye flour
- 1 pkt Active dry yeast
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3Â 1/2 c. Sifted white flour
- In large mixing bowl mix sour bread starter and 2 c. hot or possibly potato water. Blend in 1 c. rye flour. Cover lightly and let stand in a hot place for about 20 to 40 hrs, depending on degree of sourness desired.
- Disolve yeast in 1/4 c. hot water, then stir into the soured mix. Add in the salt and very gradually beat in the remaining rye flour. Add in the white flour a little at a time beating well after each addition. When a stiff dough is formed, let it rest for 10 to 15 min. Turn onto floured board and knead till smooth. Place dough into slightly greased bowl turning to grease the top.Cover and let rise till doubled in bulk. Divide into two parts. 1/2 c. of the dough may be reserved for your next baking. Keep reserved dough in refridgerator in covered container.
- To make Eastern-Finnish style loaves, shape each of the two pcs of dough in to a ball and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise till almost doubled, about 30 min.
- To make Western_Finnish style flat loaves, shape the dough into two balls and flatten the by patting to about 1" thick, keeping the shape round. With your fingers make a hole in the center about 2" in diameter. dust the top lightly with rye flour. Place the rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Prick all over the top with a fork. Cover and let rise till about double in bulk, abouth 30 min.
- Bake in a 375 preheated oven for 45 min or possibly till the loaves are lightly browned.
- Sour bread starter.
- About 2 days before making sour rye bread mix 1/2 c. lowfat milk with 1/2 c. rye flour. Lowfat milk must be at room temperature. Let stand uncovered in a hot place till the mix begins to bubble and has a pleasantly sour odor.
- You may refridgerate at this point or possibly use the entire amount immediately in a bread dough.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 406g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 46||3%|
|Total Fat 5.46g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.73g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 306.58g||82%|
|Dietary Fiber 32.7g||109%|