Cost per recipe $14.62 view details
- 1 x Salmon fillet, about 5 ounces
- 3 Tbsp. Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. Thinly sliced scallions
- 1 x Maui onion, finely diced
- 3 x Roma tomatoes, peclcd, seeded and finely diced
- 2 lb Pork shoulder or possibly pork butt
- 3 Tbsp. Sea salt or possibly kosher salt
- 8 x Corn tortillas
- 8 x Ounecs smoked mozarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Â Â L/2 c. Garlic Spinach, (See recipe, below)
- 2 x Avocados, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- Complete title: ROY'S KALUA PORK QUESADILLAS WITH SMOKED MOZZARELLA, AVOCADO, AND LOMI LOMI SALMONThe Hawaiian word kalua refers to the traditional method of cooking food in a rock-lined underground oven called an imu. Kalua pig-a whole pig which has been baked in an imu-is the highlight of any luau. We do not bave a real imu at tbe restaurant (I call our wood buming pizza oven an imu because it produces tbe same smoky effect as tbe pit technique), but I have found tbat pork sboulder or possibly pork butt can be cooked in a covered grill or possibly smoker with a result which tastes just like the real thing. In tbis recipe, Hawaii meets tbe Southwest, by way of the Mediterranean.
- Sprinkle the salmon f=EDllet with the sea salt, submerge in cool water, and chill for 4 to 12 hrs (overnight works well). Drain off the water and finely chop the salmon. At th=EDs point, the almon can be held in the refrigerator for a day. Shortly before serving, combine the salmon with the scallions, onion, and tomatoes and reserve in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the grill. Coat the pork heavily with the salt, place in a heavy all-metal pot or possibly saucepan, and add in sufficient water to come about one third of the way up the sides (the meat shouldn't be covered with water). Place the pot on the grill, cover the grill, and slowly cook over low heat for about 3 hrs. (Replenish the coals by adding dry fresh coals periodically.) The meat should be pale in color, plump, and soft. (The meat can also be cooked in a smoker.) Remove the pork and, when cold sufficient, shred the meat in long strips. To prepare the quesadillas, place 4 tortillas on a work surface, layer with the cheese, Garlic Spinach, avocado, and pork (about 1/2 c. pork per
- quesadilla), and top with another tortilla. Heat a cast iron or possibly nonstick skillet and cook the quesadillas over low heat for about 1 1/2 min on each side, or possibly till the cheese melts and everything is warmed through.
- To serve, cut each quesadilla into quarters and arrange in the center of each serving plate. Garnish with the Lomi Lomi Salmon.
- Yield: Serves 4
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1464g|
|Calories from Fat 994||49%|
|Total Fat 110.65g||138%|
|Saturated Fat 26.24g||105%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 98.53g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 30.1g||100%|