In late July through August, New Mexico produces a bumper crop of Hatch chiles, a variety of Anaheim peppers.
Texas groceries sell hatch peppers by the case for people who like these delicious peppers, which are gone by the end of August. Some groceries will roast these chiles on site, usually on Saturdays, when they become available.
You can mix in some sour cream and/or mashed avocado and puree, if you want a variation of this versatile sauce (Do not do this before canning or freezing).
Serve this salsa on enchiladas, with tacos, or as a dip and table sauce.
This recipe is fine for canning. If you don't can, cut the recipe in half, eat what you wish, and freeze the rest for later.
If you can't find Hatch peppers, use Anaheims.
This recipe makes 7-8 cups.
- Roasted, seeded, and chopped:
- 2 lbs. Hatch chile peppers, washed
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husks removed, washed, cored
- 1-2 jalapenos (optional)
- 10-12 large cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. smoked cumin powder
- 8 cups water or chicken broth (broth works best)
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves
- juice from 3-4 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using the gas stovetop, broiler, or the grill, roast the veggies until blackened in places, then put everything is a plastic bag for 15 minutes.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil in a soup pot.
- Seed, strip and discard the chile and jalapeno skins, and coarsely chop the veggies.
- Put everything, except the lime juice, into the pot and simmer the salsa.
- Reduce the mixture by 1/2, stirring occasionally. Takes about 1 - 1/2 hours.
- Taste and reduce further, if needed.
- Add the lime juice and see if you want to add salt.
- Let mixture cool completely.
- Process in a blender until smooth.
- Prepare canning equipment. Water process the jars 10 minutes.
- This salsa will keep int the fridge for 7 - 10 days.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2757g|
|Calories from Fat 294||47%|
|Total Fat 33.62g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 4.61g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 80.52g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.1g||44%|