With today's leaner pork, the traditional crown roast technique (which requires cutting between each rib chop to form the "crown") tends to produce overcooked meat before the bone end is done. So instead, ask the butcher to french the bones of two rib racks and present them back-to-back.
Servings: Makes 12 servings.
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 8-bone racks of pork (each 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 pounds), chine bone cut off
- Chop garlic and quartered shallots in mini processor. Scrape down bowl. Add next 5 ingredients; blend until paste forms.
- Arrange roasts, bone side down, on work surface. Make 6 to 8 shallow slits in fat on each. Rub some of herb paste into slits. Rub remaining herb paste all over roasts. Stand roasts in large roasting pan, bone sides facing each other and rib bones pointing upward. Interlock ends of rib bones, pushing roasts together. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Uncover; let stand 2 hours at room temperature before continuing.)
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350Â°F. Roast until thermometer inserted into pork from center of top registers 140Â°F, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven; let pork rest 20 to 30 minutes (internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees; meat will be faintly pink).
- Transfer roasts, still interlocked, to platter; reserve roasting pan with juices for sauce. Cut between ribs into chops. Serve with mushroom pan sauce.
- Meat tip: If you prefer well-done pork, we recommend brining it before roasting so it doesn't dry out. Stir 1 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, and 1/2 cup pure maple syrup into 12 cups water. Add 6 cups ice; place brine and pork in resealable plastic bag; refrigerate 24 to 48 hours. Pat roasts dry before continuing; reduce the salt in the rub to 1 tablespoon. Roast to 165Â°F.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 8g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 31||89%|
|Total Fat 3.52g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.54g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.12g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|