This is the first time I tried to make risotto and really loved it. I was inspired by a Barefoot Contessa episode. It's great for the fall. I decided to add some some sage and shallots browned and crisped in butter at the end. Yum!
- 1 small butternut squash cut in 1/2 inch chunks aprox 3 cups (or if you find it frozen and chopped it will decrease prep time)
- 1 medium onion - chopped in 1/2 inch chunks
- 3 - 4 Tbs olive oil
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 5 - 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small shallot chopped fine
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425
- Toss butternut squash, onions and 5 sage leaves (torn) in about 2 TBS of olive oil with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for about 25 minutes (or until squash is tender).
- Meanwhile bring to chicken stock to a simmer and keep hot.
- In a heavy bottomed pot on medium heat, melt 2 Tbs of butter with 1-2 Tbs of olive oil. Add garlic and stir.
- Add rice and stir for a few minutes to coat rice with oil and butter.
- Add wine and stir. Watch until wine is almost completely absorbed.
- Add chicken stock one ladle at a time (aprox 1/2 cup - I think I have a big ladle). Wait until rice absorbs most of the liquid in the pot before adding the next ladle. Takes aprox 25 minutes for rice to cook and rice is al dente.
- Just as rice reaches al dente stage, fold in the roasted squash (with onions and sage), parmesan cheese and fresh grated nutmeg.
- For Garnish: In a small sautee pan, brown shallots in 2 Tbs of butter. As shallots turn translucent, add remaining sage leaves.
- Spoon garnish on top of each serving and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 478g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 205||39%|
|Total Fat 23.33g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 8.67g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 60.36g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|