Cost per serving $2.30 view details
- 4 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious Apples - peeled, cored and cut in thick chunks
- 1 large onion - peeled and cut in large chunks
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1tbs vegetable oil
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1-2 tsp sugar -I used brown
- 250ml cream
- 125ml Woolworths mature cheddar cheese - grated
- 80 gr Winelands Blue cheese
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 125ml milk - optional
- 250 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- For the candy apples
- 1 large Granny Smith or Golden Delicious Apple
- 100ml sugar
- 100ml water
- Heat an oven proof skillet on the stove and add the butter. When the butter is bubbling, add the sugar, apples, onion and thyme. Brown the apples and onion slightly, tossing the pan now and then to prevent sticking to the pan. If you wish, you can roast the apple and onions further in the oven or just turn the heat of the stove down and roast it on the stove. When the apples are soft but not broken up, add the stock and boil for about 3 minutes. Now transfer the content of the pan to you processor or liquidizer and puree the soup. Add the cream, milk and corn flour and blitz in the processor until you have a smooth soup. Pour the soup back to your pan/pot and allow to cook. If the soup is too thick, add a little more milk. Add the cheeses and allow melting into the soup. Season to your taste. Serve with more crumbed cheese and candy apple chips.
- To make the candy apple chips
- Put the sugar and water into a pot and slowly heat until the sugar
- has melted. Cook until you have thin sugar syrup.
- Slice the apple as thinly as you can, I use a mandolin.
- Dip each apple slice into the sugar syrup and place on a baking
- sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake in a moderate
- oven (150C) until golden brown.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 781g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 467||49%|
|Total Fat 52.7g||66%|
|Saturated Fat 24.41g||98%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 104.42g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.0g||30%|