Cost per recipe $6.56 view details
- Â Â a (4-rib) standing rib roast (trimmed weight 10 to 10 1/2 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 stk plus 1 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter softened (1/4 c.)
- 1 x onion minced
- 1 x green bell pepper minced
- 1 ounce dry shiitake mushrooms
- 2 c. warm water
- 1/4 lb fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2Â 1/2 c. canned beef broth
- 1/2 c. medium-dry Sherry
- 4 tsp arrowroot dissolved in 2 Tbsp. cool water
- Let the rib roast stand at room temperature for 1 hour. In a small bowl knead together the rosemary, the salt, and 1/2 stick of the butter and rub
- the meat with the mix. In a roasting pan roast the meat, ribs side down, in a preheated 500F. oven for 30 min, reduce the heat to 350F., and roast the meat for 1 3/4 to 2 hrs more, or possibly till a meat thermometer inserted in a fleshy section registers to 130F. for medium-rare.
- Forty-five min before the roast is done add in the onion and the bell pepper to the pan. During the last 40 min of roasting, in a bowl let the shiitake mushrooms soak in the water for 30 min, squeeze out the excess liquid, and reserve the soaking liquid in bowl. Throw away the stems and slice the caps thin. Strain the reserved liquid through a fine sieve into another bowl. Transfer the roast to a heated platter, discarding the
- strings, transfer the onion and the bell pepper to paper towels to drain, and reserve them for the shiitake pan gravy. Let the roast stand for 20 to 30 minutes utes before carving.
- In a heavy skillet saute/fry the fresh mushrooms in the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter over moderately high heat, stirring, for 1 minute, add in the shiitake mushrooms, and saute/fry the mix, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add in the broth and the reserved mushroom liquid and boil the liquid till it is reduced to about 2 1/2 c.. Skim all but 1 Tbsp. of the fat from the pan juices in the roasting pan, add in the reserved onion and bell pepper and the Sherry, and saute/fry the mix over moderately high heat, scraping up the brown bits, for 1 minute. Boil the Sherry mix till it is reduced by half, strain it through the fine sieve into the mushroom mix, and bring the mix to a boil. Stir the arrowroot mix and add in it to the gravy, stirring. Simmer the gravy, stirring, for 3 min,
- add in salt and pepper to taste, and transfer the gravy to a heated sauceboat.
- Serve the roast with the pan gravy.
- Serves 8 generously.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1483g|
|Calories from Fat 425||76%|
|Total Fat 48.4g||61%|
|Saturated Fat 30.08g||120%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 23.09g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.0g||23%|