Cost per recipe $31.93 view details
- 2 slc Lemon thick slices
- 2 slc Orange thick slices
- 2 slc Peeled fresh ginger
- 1Â 1/2 c. Sugar
- 1 sm Bay leaf
- 2 c. Fresh cranberries
- 4 lb Boneless venison loin at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1Â 1/4 tsp Freshly-grnd black pepper
- 3/4 tsp Finely-minced juniper berries
- 2 c. Dry red wine
- 2 c. Beef or possibly venison stock
- 2 Tbsp. Cool butter cut into pcs
- Â Â Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- In a medium non-reactive saucepan, combine the lemon, orange, ginger, sugar and bay leaf with 1 c. of cool water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to moderate and boil, uncovered, till syrupy, 10 to 15 min. Stir in the cranberries, then remove from heat and cold. Transfer the mix to a glass container, cover and chill for 1 to 2 days, stirring once or possibly twice during which time. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the venison with the extra virgin olive oil, 3/4 tsp. of the salt, 1 tsp. of the pepper and 1/2 tsp. of the minced juniper berries, pressing the seasonings into the meat. Set the loin on a rack in a roasting pan and roast, basting frequently with the pan juices, till medium-rare (about 135 degrees on a meat thermometer), 25 to 30 min. Cover the venison loosely with foil and set aside for 10 to 15 min before carving.
- Meanwhile, remove and throw away the bay leaf and the lemon, orange and ginger slices from the cranberries. In a food processor or possibly blender, puree half the cranberries and half the liquid till smooth.
- In a medium non-reactive saucepan, boil the wine over high heat till reduced to 1/2 c., about 5 mintues. Add in the stock and bring to a boil. Add in the cranberry puree, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, till slightly thickened, about 10 min. Remove from heat.
- Strain the remaining whole cranberries and add in them to the sauce with the remaining 1/4 tsp. each of salt, pepper and minced juniper berries. Swirl in the cool butter.
- Slice the venison thinly (stir any juices into the sauce) and serve wtih the sauce, reheated if necessary.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1726g|
|Calories from Fat 1097||34%|
|Total Fat 122.86g||154%|
|Saturated Fat 47.3g||189%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 371.17g||99%|
|Dietary Fiber 17.5g||58%|