Cost per serving $21.62 view details
- 12 lb Goose
- Â Â Salt, to taste
- Â Â Grnd black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Caraway seeds
- 6 ounce Onion, large dice
- 3 ounce Carrots, large dice
- 3 ounce Celery, large dice
- 1 lb Green cabbage, shredded
- 3 lb Potatoes, all purpose, large
- Â Â Dice
- 1 lb Granny smith apples, cored and diced
- 1 quart Apple cider
- Cooking Method: Roasting
- 1. Remove the giblets from the goose; remove the fat from its cavity. Rinse the goose and pat dry. Sprinkle its interior and exterior with salt, pepper and caraway seeds. Truss the goose and place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 2. Roast in a 425 F (220 C) oven for 30 min. Prick the skin all over with a fork to release fat.
- 3. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F (180 C) and continue roasting for another 45 min. Baste the bird occasionally with the fat accumulating in the pan.
- 4. Meanwhile, combine the vegetables and apple and season with salt and pepper.
- 5. After roasting for 1-1/4 hrs, remove the goose from the pan and drain off all but 3 Tbsp. (45 milliliters) of fat. Place the vegetable mix in the roasting pan and toss to coat with the fat.
- 6. Place the goose on top of the vegetable mix and pour the apple cider over all. Return to the oven and continue roasting till done, approximately 1-1/2 hrs.
- 7. Remove the bird from the roasting pan and allow it to rest for 20-30 min before carving. Serve with the cooked vegetables.
- Yield: unit: 8 servings Portion: unit: 1 serving Portions in yield: 8
- On Cooking - Techniques from Expert Chefs,
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 706g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 211||29%|
|Total Fat 23.39g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 9.03g||36%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 49.37g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||22%|