Looking for the perfect Roast Duck Recipe?
With crispy skin and soft tender meat? We have tried to get this recipe absolutely perfect and, after years of work, this is as close as we can get.
The sticky concentrated orange sauce - with its garlicy and honeyed sweetness and the slight sharpness of the Lemon juice and the mellowness of the Balsamic vinegar, compliment the crispy, perfectly cooked skin and the tender, juicy meat.
- 1 Whole Duck - about 3lb./1.4Kilos.
- For the Boiling Marinade.
- 1 Quart of Water.
- 6 Cloves of Garlic (skin on - bashed).
- 6 Bay Leaves
- 4 Pieces of Star Anise
- 2 Teaspoons of Salt.
- 1 Teaspoon of Spanish Paella Colouring (Colorante) or Orange food colouring.
- For the Sauce.
- 2 Large Oranges - Juice and Zest.
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (mashed).
- 1/2 a pint of Chicken Stock.
- 2ozs. of Sultanas.
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey.
- 1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar.
- 1 Heaped Teaspoon of Cornstarch (Cornflour).
- Cold Water to slake.
- Right first make your boiling Marinade - Put all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil. Boil for ten minutes and then reduce to a simmer.
- Then prepare your Duck - using a sharp kitchen knife cut the wings off leaving just one wing bone (see video slideshow below).
- Now make two cuts into the carcass parallel with the wing bones. (to let the fat escape during cooking).
- OK - then put a butchers hook (or any kind of Hook you can find) into the neck of the Bird - and pour the boiling marinade all over, using a ladle. This will help to loosen the fat, crisp the skin and also give a nice color to the Duck.
- Now - let it dry for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce.
- Put all the ingredients - except the cornflour and water - into a pan and bring to the boil
- Let the mixture reduce by half.
- Now - slake the cornflour in some of the cold water and Whisk it into the sauce until you acheive the required consistency.
- Roast the Duck on a wire rack over a roasting tray containing water for an hour and a half in a hot oven 400Âºf./200Âºc.
- Now you're ready to serve - cut the duck into four quarters and spoon over the Sauce.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 1403g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 370||62%|
|Total Fat 41.02g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 13.74g||55%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 44.52g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||14%|