Cost per serving $3.83 view details
- Serving 4
- 4 chicken breasts, or two Cornish game hens
- 1 large peeled, onion (sliced thinly)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ground Saffron, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 8-oz jars or pitted sour cherries
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 stick butter
- Powdered cinnamon
- 4 cups long grain Basmati rice
- 2 TBSP slivered pistachios
- 1. Place the chicken with onions in an oven safe dish. Season with salt and pepper and add 1 TBSP Saffron water, cover and bake for 350F in oven for 2 hours.
- * If you have chicken left overs, you can add some of the saffron water and let it come to a simmer over the stove.
- 2. Drain the cherries half way and place them with remaining syrup and sugar in a sauce pan and cook for 25 min over medium heat.
- 3. Prepare the rice, by rinsing in warm water until the water drains away clear.
- 4. Place rice in a large non-stick pot, add some salt and about 8 cups of water and bring to a quick boil (ca 6-8min)
- 5. Carefully remove a grain of rice and bite into it. If the rice is soft and only has a tiny little darker dot in the center it's ready to be drained into a colander.
- 6. Place 2 TBSP butter and 2TBSP Saffron water on the bottom of the hot pot (this will later form the tah-dig).
- 7. Place to spatulas of white rice in the pot, followed by one spatula of cherries (without syrup)and a sprinkle a bit of cinnamon. Repeat, all the time forming the rice into a pyramid.
- 8. With the end of a wooden spoon, poke about 4 holes around the tip. This is done so the air can circulate around the rice and cook it evenly.
- 9.Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes so that the bottom of the rice turns golden.
- 10. No cover a lid in a dish towel and place it securely over the pot, reduce heat and let simmer for an additional 40 min.
- 12. Once the rice is fully cooked, place it on a serving dish and pour some of the remaining saffron and a bit of melted butter over the rice and garnish with the pistachio slivers.
- 13. Remove the chicken and place around the dish.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 360g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 335||29%|
|Total Fat 37.93g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 18.66g||75%|
|Trans Fat 0.17g|
|Total Carbs 154.91g||41%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|