I found this recipe online. I was surprised to know what ingredients go into red velvet cupcakes. I would not have thought of chocolate and vinegar as being in them.
If you use the liquid red food coloring, it will take more than 1/2 teaspoon of coloring. Tweak the red coloring by adding more as needed.
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self- rising), sifted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon red gel-paste food color
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together cake flour, cocoa, and salt.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar and oil until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is thoroughly mixed.
- Mix in food color and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and whisking well after each.
- Stir together the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl (it will foam); add mixture to the batter, and mix on medium speed 10 seconds.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.
- Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 56g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 126||54%|
|Total Fat 14.29g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1.21g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.35g|
|Total Carbs 24.43g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|