Cost per serving $0.75 view details
- 2Â 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lrg onion, quartered
- Â Â and thinly sliced
- 1 lrg eggplant, peeled
- Â Â and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lrg green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 med clove garlic, chopped
- 2 c. canned crushed tomatoes
- Â Â Or possibly 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and minced
- 1 med zucchini
- Â Â cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 2 tsp tomato paste, up to 3
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dry basil
- Â Â Or possibly 1 Tbs. minced fresh basil
- 1 x recipe Basic Polenta
- Â Â (soft version--see separate recipe)
- 8 SERVINGS DAIRY-FREE
- When you pour a thick layer of polenta over ratatouille and bake it, you end up with a delicious pot pie. Covering the dish during baking helps keep the polenta soft rather than crusting over. Serve with a salad of mixed greens.
- In large ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add in onion and cook, stirring often, till softened, about 6 min. Add in remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil, eggplant and 1/2 tsp. salt and cook, stirring often, 3 min.
- Add in bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring often, till eggplant begins to soften, 6 to 7 min. Stir in tomatoes and zucchini. Cover partially, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often to prevent sticking, 10 min.
- Add in parsley, tomato paste, vinegar, basil, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and freshly grnd pepper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, 3 min. Remove from heat, smooth top with a spoon and cold 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make soft polenta. As soon as it is quite thick but still pourable, immediately scrape hot polenta over ratatouille, spreading proportionately with spoon.
- Let cold 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cover Dutch oven with lid or possibly foil and bake till heated through, 35 to 40 min. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, 10 min before serving.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 213g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 41||44%|
|Total Fat 4.66g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.66g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.0g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.0g||17%|