Fresh raspberries play a starring role in this appealing coffee cake. Baked in an 8" round pan, it will make 8 servings. For a larger group double the recipe and bake in a 9" x 13" pan. Based on a recipe in Taste of Home Magazine.
- COFFEE CAKE:
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used half vanilla extract and half almond extract)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Extra fresh raspberries as desired for garnish
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons half and half or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond extract)
- COFFEE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8" round baking pan.
- In small bowl combine 1 cup raspberries and brown sugar; set aside. In large bowl combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In smaller bowl beat the egg, then whisk in sour cream, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. (NOTE: Batter will be stiff, but needs to be soft enough to spread in pan. It should NOT be a batter that can pour. If batter is too stiff add a little bit of milk.)
- Spoon half the batter into prepared pan and spread to fill the bottom. Top with raspberry mixture.
- Spoon remaining batter over top of raspberries, spreading to cover. Sprinkle top with almonds.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick tests done in center and top is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove cake from pan.
- In small bowl combine icing ingredients; drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm, with optional fresh raspberries for garnish.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 78g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 78||35%|
|Total Fat 8.86g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 4.74g||19%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 33.01g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|