This is a traditional and very popular South African dish. It very often accompanies a Sunday lunch of roast leg of mutton. Unlike in Europe, pumpkin is quite widely eaten and enjoyed in South Africa. For that very reason it amazes me that Pumpkin Pie is hardly eaten in South Africa!
- 500 ml (2 cups) cooked mashed pumpkin
- 80 ml ( 1/3 ) cake flour
- Â½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1 ml (good pinch) salt
- butter or oil (for shallow frying)
- Sugar mixed with ground cinnamon, for sprinkling over
- Combine the pumpkin, egg, flour, baking powder and the salt.
- Heat the butter or oil and when hot drop in spoonsful of the pumpkin mixture. Fry fritters on both sides until golden brown, taking care not to burn them.
- Serve hot, sprinkled liberally with cinnamon sugar.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 92g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 221||89%|
|Total Fat 25.15g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 15.22g||61%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.66g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|