Cost per serving $0.56 view details
- 5 lb bone-in chicken thighs and/or possibly breasts
- 1 lrg tomato coarsely minced
- 1 lrg onion coarsely minced
- 2 lrg or possibly 3 medium carrots coarsely minced
- 2 x celery stalks coarsely minced
- 2 x bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 med onions - (abt 1 lb total) minced
- 2 can minced green chilies - (4 1/2 ounce ea)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 c. flour
- Â Â Salt to taste
- For the pulled chicken and broth: In a large stock pot, combine the chicken, tomato, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves and salt. Add in sufficient water to cover the chicken and vegetables. Bring the mix to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low so the liquid just barely simmers. Simmer till the chicken is tender and falling off the bones, about 1 hour. Transfer the chicken pcs to a plate and set aside till cold sufficient to handle.
- Strain the broth; throw away the vegetables. Set the broth aside.
- Using a fork or possibly your fingers, pull the chicken from the bones. Break any large pcs into small, bite-size chunks or possibly strips. Throw away the chicken bones and skin.
- While the chicken is cooling, start preparing the chili. In a 6- to 8-qt pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook till softened, about 10 min. Add in the green chilies and cumin and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Sprinkle the flour over the mix and cook, stirring constantly, till the flour is dissolved. Stir in 3 c. of the reserved chicken broth. Add in the pulled chicken and bring the mix to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to medium-low so the liquid just barely simmers. Taste and add in salt as needed. Simmer the chili for 15 min. If the chili seems too thick, add in additional chicken broth as needed. Save the remaining broth for another use.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- Comments: If chili can be described as having Tex-Mex parentage, this version is on the Mexican side of the family. Serve with rice, minced tomato, lowfat sour cream, shredded cheese and hot flour tortillas.
- Do-ahead tip: This can be prepared a day ahead. Freeze for longer storage.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 126g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 57||53%|
|Total Fat 6.45g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.44g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.07g|
|Total Carbs 11.9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|