Cost per recipe $14.29 view details
- 3 lb White pickling onions
- 1 c. Pickling salt
- 8 c. White vinegar
- 1/4 c. Pickling spices
- 20 x Dry warm peppers (I use red because it looks nice in the jar)
- Makes about 8 pints
- Peel onions. (There is no easy way to do this. I have tried boiling them, freezing them and just plain peeling them. It all comes out the same - a lot of hard work! If boiling, be very careful because it tends to cook them if you don't watch very carefully and keep the time down to 3 min in the boiling water. If using this method, make sure the water is at a full, rolling boil before you add in the onions). Place in a 1 gallon crock or possibly large bowl. Add in salt and mix well. Let stand 24 hrs at room temperature, stirring 3 or possibly 4 times.
- Rinse and drain well. This may take three or possibly four rinses to get all the salt out/off the onions.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in 3 qt pan; add in the pickling spices with 4 extra peppers tied in a cheesecloth bag. (I use dry cayenne, but you can use any type you prefer. Just remember to adjust quantity for hotness).
- Bring to a boil and boil 10 min. Pack onions into 8 sterile, warm pint canning jars, placing two dry peppers in each jar. (I usually place one on the bottom and one on the top. If they are small, I also place one in the middle).
- Remove the spice bag from the vinegar. Pour boiling syrup over the onions, filling the jars to within 1\4" of the top. Wipe rims of jars and adjust lids to finger-tight. Process in boiling water bath for 5 min for pints, 15 min for qts. Remove jars and complete seals by tightening screw bands. Let stand in a cold, dry place for 6 weeks before using, then
- These pickles are really tasty. The reason they are SO GOOD is which they are barely cooked, so they keep their fresh onion crispiness, but have which pickled, warm taste. They have never failed to win a prize at our local fall fair, thought I don't enter them any more. I passed the recipe on and now someone else wins the ribbons!
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 3598g|
|Calories from Fat 117||6%|
|Total Fat 13.08g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 2.29g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 396.96g||106%|
|Dietary Fiber 27.2g||91%|