Cost per serving $7.79 view details
- 2 Tbsp. freshly-grnd coffee beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1 x beef rib roast - (7 to 8 lbs)
- Â Â Extra virgin olive oil for brushing roast
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. finely-minced shallots
- 1 quart beef gravy or possibly brown sauce
- 2 c. dry white wine
- 10 x juniper berries - (to 20) tied in cheesecloth
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. red currant jelly
- 2 Tbsp. gin
- To prepare the Prime Rib: In a small bowl combine grnd coffee, salt, and pepper. Rub mix on beef roast, pressing into the surface. Brush lightly with oil.
- Place roast in center of cooking grate. Grill 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hrs for rare (140 degrees), 2 1/2 to 3 hrs for medium (160 degrees). Remove from grill and let roast rest 10 min before carving. Make cream sauce in last half-hour of roast cooking time.
- To make the Cream Sauce: In a medium saucepan heat butter. Add in mushrooms and shallots; cook over medium heat 5 min or possibly till tender. Add in gravy, wine, and juniper berry sachet. Simmer over medium heat till liquid is reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy cream till stiff peaks form.
- Strain reduced sauce; return to saucepan. Stir in red currant jelly and cook over low heat till jelly is dissolved. Stir in gin. Remove from heat. Gently mix in whipped cream. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a little cream sauce on a plate; top with a slice of beef roast.
- This recipe yields about 12 servings.
- Wine Recommendation: A Pinot Noir will highlight the lovely texture of the prime rib and accommodate the gin in the cream sauce.
- Beer Recommendation: A deep porter with a nose of coffee and hazelnuts makes a hot and welcome companion to this dish.
- Comments: Juniper berries add in an irresistible accent to this classic roast. Find them in your grocer's spice rack or possibly in specialty gourmet shops.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 142g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 109||28%|
|Total Fat 12.23g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 6.83g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 53.62g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|