Cost per recipe $6.49 view details
- 8 strips bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups water, chicken stock
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into approx. 1" cubes*
- 1/2 teas granulated garlic
- 1/2 teas salt (to start, you will almost certainly need more)
- 2 cups milk (use all or part evaporated milk for richer soup), for richer soup use part heavy cream
- 1Â½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, or velveta cheese
- instant potato flakes
- 1 cup sour cream
- Â¼ cup sliced green onions
- This recipe uses potato flakes for thickening so use your favorite variety of potato or whatever you happen to have
- Saute Bacon and Onions
- In a your soup pan, cook bacon pieces until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Leave 2 Tbsp bacon grease to the bottom of the pan. (If you are worried about using bacon grease, you can use oil or you can use a little bacon grease with oil so long as the total is about 2 Tbsp.) Add diced onions. Sweat the onions on low heat until they are translucent.
- Add the water, chicken stock, or beer to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and diced potatoes. Simmer on low-med heat until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the milk and bring to a simmer on low heat.
- Next, add 1 cup sour cream, reserving the rest for garnish, and stir until combined.
- Add 1 cup instant potato flakes and stir to thicken slightly.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese, reserving the rest for garnish. Stir until cheese is melted and well-combined.
- Thicken according to your preference using more potato flakes. There is somewhat of a "delayed reaction" of thickening as the dried potatoes soak up moisture. So add flakes in small amounts and wait a few minutes between additions to check the consistency until desired thickness is reached.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls or mugs garnished with sour cream, cheese, bacon, and green onion..
- Better after refrigerating and eating the next day
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 3149g|
|Calories from Fat 1986||61%|
|Total Fat 222.91g||279%|
|Saturated Fat 106.46g||426%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 210.84g||56%|
|Dietary Fiber 23.4g||78%|