Cost per serving $0.19 view details
- 1 pkt active dry yeast
- 2Â 1/2 c. hot water
- 2Â 3/4 c. unbleached white flour
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 c. mashed high-starch potatoes
- Â Â such as russet--about 3 medium
- 2 c. rye flour
- 2Â 1/2 c. whole wheat flour, up to 3
- 1 Tbsp. caraway seeds
- Â Â Coarse cornmeal
- MAKES 1 LOAF DAIRY-FREE
- Potatoes make this dense, hearty bread uncommonly light and moist.
- In large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 tsp. yeast and 1/2 c. hot water.
- Let sit till yeast dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in 3/4 c. white flour, cover with plastic wrap and set aside 2 hrs.
- Gently stir in remaining 2 c. water, remaining 1/2 tsp. yeast, remaining white flour and salt. Add in mashed potatoes, rye flour and wheat flour, incorporating flours 1 c. at a time till you have a dough which is soft and pliable, but hard sufficient to handle.
- If you're kneading by hand, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth, about 10 min. (It helps to moisten your hands while you knead.) If you're using an electric mixer with a dough hook, knead by machine till dough pulls away from bowl and forms a ball around the hook.
- Add in additional flour only if absolutely necessary to prevent sticking. Let dough rest while you wash out mixing bowl. Lightly oil mixing bowl, place dough in bowl and turn over to coat both sides with oil. Cover with kitchen towel; set aside till doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Punch down dough and knead lightly to press out air. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Sprinkle dough with caraway seeds and knead till dough is elastic and seeds are well distributed, about 4 min. Shape dough into round loaf about 9 inches in diameter; place on baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise about 40 min. Slash an "X" into top of loaf with sharp knife.
- Bake till top is browned and bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 1 hour. Cold on wire rack about 15 min before slicing.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 81g|
|Recipe makes 18 servings|
|Calories from Fat 6||4%|
|Total Fat 0.77g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.11g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 35.78g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.4g||15%|