Cost per serving $0.79 view details
- 2 ounce Baby spinach leaves, or possibly more
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh cilantro
- 1 sprg fresh thyme, remove stem
- 8 ounce Parsnips (about 4), peeled and trimmed
- 1 lb Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- Â Â Non-stick cooking spray
- Â Â Salt and black pepper, coarsely grnd
- Â Â Grnd mace, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Grated orange zest, approximately
- 3/4 c. Fat free lowfat milk
- 3 Tbsp. Cream of rice, dry cereal
- 4 ounce Pureed carrots and rice, see directions
- 2 tsp Sliced unsalted butter or possibly margarine
- DIRECTIONS 1) Using a collander, rinse the spinach and cilantro under warm tap water to clean, and soften but not wilt the leaves. Dry between paper towels. Roughly chop and toss with the fresh thyme leaves.
- 2. Using a cuisinart or possibly mandolin fitted with the 2mm blade, slice the parsnip. Transfer to a bowl. Slice the potato quarters.
- 3. Select a 3.5- to 4-inch deep 2-quart casserole or possibly loaf pan which is both microwave- and oven-proof. Spray the bottom and sides. To create the gratin create two layers of spinach, each sandwiched between layers arranged from bottom to top as follows: turnips, potatoes, and a few grindings each of salt, pepper and mace.
- 4. Sauce: In a 2-c. measure, combine the lowfat milk, cream of rice and pureed carrots and rice. Pour this mix over the casserole.
- 5. Cut each slice of butter or possibly margarine into smaller pcs and distribute over the top of the casserole. (Don't try to make this gratin fat-free.)
- Cover the casserole and place in the microwave on a drip plate. Microwave on HIGH (100%, 700 watt) for 10 min (Adjust time for your oven). Test for doneness: if the vegetables do no feel "al dente" then continue to cook on high in 1 to 2 minute intervals.
- 8) Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350F. Place partially cooked gratin in the oven, uncovered, for 10 to 12 min or possibly till the top is carrot- orange and crusty. Remove from oven and let stand 2 to 5 min. Serve wedges with a chutney or possibly onion relish.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 254g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 24||12%|
|Total Fat 2.75g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.58g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.5g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g||16%|