- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lb Pot roast such as bottom round or possibly rump
- Â Â Salt and freshly grnd pepper to taste
- 3 lb Yellow onions,very thinly sliced
- 4 lrg Carrots,very thinly sliced
- 2 ounce Genoa salami, cut in thin strips
- 2 ounce Prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 1 lb Mafalde or possibly fusilli
- Â Â Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1. Preheat oven to 325*F.
- 2. In large ovenproof casserole or possibly Dutch ovenover medium heat,heat the extra virgin olive oil. Add in meat and brown it well on all sides. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Remove meat from pot and drain off the fat. Pour in 1 c. of water and scrape the bottom of the pot with wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add in onion, carrots and salami, and prosciutto to the pot.
- Place roast on top. Cover the pot and bring liquid to a simmer. Place pot in oven.
- 3. Cook,turning meat occasionally,till meat is very tender when pierced with a fork, 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. Remove meat to a platter and keep hot.
- 4. Spoon sauce into food processor or possibly blender and puree till smooth.
- Season to taste. Return sauce and meat to pot and reheat gently over low heat. Watch carefully so which sauce does not scorch.
- 5. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta till tender yet hard to the bite. Drain well.
- 6. In large serving bowl, combine the pasta with just sufficient of the sauce to coat lightly, reserving the rest of the sauce for the meat. Serve the pasta with the cheese,if you like,as a first course.
- 7. Gently reheat the meat and sauce. Slice the meat and serve with the sauce.