Cost per serving $15.84 view details
- 3 lb Porterhouse steak
- Â Â About 2 1/2-in. thick
- Â Â Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Shallots, minced
- 1/2 c. Burgundy or possibly cabernet
- 1/2 c. Brown sauce or possibly
- Â Â Canned brown beef gravy
- 1. Select a very heavy skillet for this. A heavy, traditional black iron skillet is excellent. Sprinkle the steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Use a fairly generous amount of black pepper. Pat with the fingers to make the seasoning adhere.
- 2. Heat the oil in the skillet and when quite warm, add in the steak. The primary goal is to sear the steak well on both sides over moderately high heat. Cook the steak on the first side about 5-7 minutes. till it is quite dark without burning. Turn the steak and cook about 10 minutes. on the other side, till quite dark but not burnt.
- 3. Reduce the heat slightly and turn the steak again. Cook about 10 minutes., then turn the steak again. Continue cooking, turning as necessary. The total cooking time recommended is about 45 minutes, from start to finish.
- 4. Remove the steak from the skillet and cover loosely with foil. Let rest so which the internal juices are redistributed.
- 5. Meanwhile, pour off the fat from the skillet.
- Wipe lightly with paper towels. Add in 1 tbsp of butter to the skillet and stir to dissolve the browned particles which cling to the bottom. Add in the shallots and cook briefly.
- 6. Add in the wine and boil to reduce about 30 sec.
- Stir in the brown gravy and reduce to 2/3. Remove from the heat and swirl in the remaining butter.
- 7. To serve, spoon a little of the sauce onto each of 4 warm plates. Slice the steak and place the slices on the sauce.
- This dish: Bifteck marchand de vin
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 354g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 585||68%|
|Total Fat 65.23g||82%|
|Saturated Fat 25.92g||104%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 11.11g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|