This is another phenomenal recipe that I adapted from a recipe from James Villas in Stews, Bogs, and Burgoos. I still have not found a recipe from this book that is not amazing. Anyway, don't be thrown off by the fruit in this recipe. It blends in with the wine, meat and vegetables to make a luscious combination. This recipe filled a large crock pot and almost spilled over. Cut it down if you need to feed a small group or don't want leftovers.
- 5 pound pork butt or shoulder roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3-4 big chunks if possible
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large cooking apples (like Granny Smith), cored and sliced thinly
- 20 pitted prunes
- 1 tsp dried sage, crumbled
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Beef stock or broth as needed to cover the pork
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the pork roast in 3-4 big chunks if possible. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the pork chunks in the flour. In a large heavy pot, heat 2 Tbsp of butter over medium high, then add the pork and brown on all sides and transfer to the crock pot or stew pot. Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter in the pot, then add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring, for about 2 min until softened.
- Using a spatula, scrape all the onions, celery, and carrots from the pan into the crock or stew pot. Add the apple, prunes, sage, wine, salt, and pepper and just enough stock to cover then ingredients. (Be generous with the pepper if you want some spice to complement the sweetness).
- Cook for 6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low in a crock pot, or simmer on low, covered, in a stew pot about 4 hours.
- Break or cut the pork roast into individual servings (it should practically fall from the bone), and serve by placing over mashed potatoes, couscous, or rice with a healthy spoonful of the fruits, vegetables and sauce.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 261g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 93||31%|
|Total Fat 10.42g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 4.44g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 19.61g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|