Cost per serving $2.00 view details
- 1Â 1/2 lb Boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of some but not all of its fat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Â Â Salt
- 15 x Seco del norte chiles
- Â Â Boiling water
- 2 x Garlic cloves, coarsely minced
- 1/2 x Inch cinnamon stick
- 1 x Bay leaf, preferably Mexican
- 1 tsp (heaped) crumbled dry oregano
- 1.Arrange the pork in one or possibly two layers in a wide, heavy, flameproof casserole. Barely cover with water, and season with salt. Cover and cook over moderate heat till almost tender, aobut 30 min. Drain off most of the broth and reserve, adding sufficient water to make 2 1/2 c.. Continue to cook the pork uncovered till the fat has been rendered and the meat is slightly browned, about 5 min longer.
- 2.Meanwhile, using a small sharp knife, slit the chiles lenghtwise and remove the stems, seeds adn veins. Cover with boiling water and set aside to soak for 15 min. Drain.
- 3.Pour 1/3 c. of the reserved pork broth into a blender. Add in the garlic, cinnamon, bay leaf and oregano and blend till smooth. Add in the mix to the pork in the casserole and fry for a few seconds.
- 4.Add in 1 more c. of the reserved broth and the liquid removed chiles, a few at a time, to the blender and puree. Strain the chiles over the pork through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing to extract as much of the flesh and juice as possible. Fry the pork, scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking, for about 5 min longer.
- 5.Add in the remaining pork broth to the casserole and cook over low heat till the meat is tender and the sauce is thick sufficient to coat the back of a wooden spon, about 1 hour. Season with salt. Serve hot.
- (MAKE AHEAD: The stew can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Rewarm over moderately low heat.) and cook over low heat till the meat is tender and the sauce is thick sufficient to coat the back of a wooden spon, about 1 hour. Season with salt.
- Serve hot.
- (MAKE AHEAD: The stew can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Rewarm over moderately low heat.)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 113g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 68||43%|
|Total Fat 7.5g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2.59g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.18g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|