Cost per recipe $10.34 view details
- 6 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 8 x Center cut rib pork chops, (each about 8 ounces) (1-inch-thick)
- 1 c. Plus 5 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Plus 1 Tbsp. Hungarian sweet paprika
- 8 c. Sliced onions, (about 4 large)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 4 tsp Chopped garlic
- 4 c. Canned beef broth, (about)
- 3/4 c. Grated smoked Gouda cheese with rind, (about 3 ounces)
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat 3 Tbsp. oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper. Dredge in 1 c. flour; shake off excess. Working in batches, add in pork to skillet and saute/fry till brown, about 3 min per side. Arrange pork in single layer in 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle 1 tsp. paprika over pork.
- Throw away contents of skillet; wipe clean. Add in 3 Tbsp. oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add in onions; sprinkle with sugar and saute/fry till well browned, stirring often, about 20 min. Add in garlic; saute/fry 1 minute. Add in 1 Tbsp. paprika. Place onions over pork. Pour sufficient broth over so which chops are almost covered. Cover with foil. Bake till pork is tender, about 45 min. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Uncover; cold slightly. Cover; chill. Rewarm covered pork in 350F. oven, about 20 min.)
- Reduce oven temperature to 200F. Using tongs, transfer pork to large bowl, leaving onion mix in baking dish. Pour contents of baking dish into strainer set over medium bowl. Return onion mix to same baking dish, spreading proportionately (reserve cooking liquid). Arrange pork atop onions; sprinkle cheese. Cover dish with foil; set in oven to keep hot.
- Heat butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add in 5 Tbsp. flour. Cook, till mix just begins to color, whisking often (mix will be dry and crumbly), about 4 min. Gradually whisk in reserved cooking liquid. Bring sauce to boil, whisking constantly. Boil till thickened, whisking often, about 5 min. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer pork and onions to plates. Spoon sauce around pork and serve.
- Serves 8.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2276g|
|Calories from Fat 1502||55%|
|Total Fat 170.53g||213%|
|Saturated Fat 61.03g||244%|
|Trans Fat 2.11g|
|Total Carbs 218.98g||58%|
|Dietary Fiber 21.9g||73%|