A very dear friend of mine taught me this recipe in Fall River she had always made it for me so I finally asked her for the recipe which she graciously gave me when I moved to Canada
- 3 lbs. of pork blade meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch. pieces
- 3/4 lb. of pork liver, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces( this you can leave out if so desire)
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of chopped red peppers
- 2 tablespoons of pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons of whole allspice
- 5 bay leaves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic or 5 cloves sliced thin
- The last four ingredients are for a spice bag. You will need cheesecloth for this step.
- Put the meat into a 2-Qt. saucepot. Add water to just below the top of the meat. Add vinegar, salt and red peppers to the pot and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Tie the spices and garlic securely in a piece of cheesecloth. Bury this in the middle of the saucepan. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 24 hours.
- When your ready to prepare the caciola simmer for 3 hours on low heat. Cook until the meat is tender. Remove the spice bag when broth is flavored to your liking.( around 2 hours). Serve with Portuguese rolls. Makes 10 sandwiches. If you want to serve it as an entree, add cut potatoes to the caciola in last half hour.