In college I had an assignment to choose a fruit and use the structure to inspire a design. I picked the familiar but somewhat boring banana. My friend chose the pomegranate. I had never seen one before and was fascinated by its color, shape, taste, and the number of seeds (I counted almost six hundred). Today, with evidence of the fruit’s health benefits piling up, pomegranates are everywhere, especially in juice form.
- 2 3/4 cups pomegranate juice, or 8 whole pomegranates
- 1 3/4 cups apple juice
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds (from about 1/2 pomegranate)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Rome apples, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- If using whole pomegranates instead of juice, make several cuts in the pomegranate skin from top to bottom. Immerse the pomegranate in a bowl of water and gently break it apart. Pull the seeds away from the pith and they will sink. Pour off everything but the seeds. Drain the seeds in a colander. Place the seeds in a blender and blend until finely chopped. Strain the liquid though a fine-mesh sieve or a colander lined with several layers of rinsed cheesecloth set over a large bowl.
- In a saucepan over low heat, simmer the sugar and apple juice until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- For a blend of flavors: Combine all the juices together, add the seeds and apples, and pour into the pop molds. Freeze for 8 hours. For multilayer pops: Add half of the apple juice mixture to the pomegranate juice, along with the 3/4 cup seeds. Add the apples to the remaining apple juice. Partially fill the molds with the pomegranate juice mixture. Insert the sticks. Freeze for at least 2 hours. Add a layer of apple juice mixture, freeze for 2 hours, then add another layer of pomegranate; repeat, freezing for at least 2 hours between layers, until the pop molds are full.
- Remove from the freezer. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing the pops from the molds. Serve to health-trend-conscious friends.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1352g|
|Calories from Fat 28||3%|
|Total Fat 3.41g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.72g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 257.86g||69%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.7g||16%|