This bread is a Easter tradition that has been in our family for as long as I can remember. My children were also taught how to make this bread so they can pass it down to their children.
- 31/2 - 4 C All purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Envelope Active dry yeast
- 2/3 C Milk
- 1/4 C Unsalted butter plus 2 tsp.melted for brushing on top of the loaf
- 3 Large eggs
- 3/4 -1 C Golden raisins soaked in warm water to soften then drain
- 1/4 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Zest of half an orange
- Crumb Topping:
- 1/3 C plus 2 tbl. Flour
- 1/3 C Sugar
- 2 Tbl Brown sugar
- 1/4 C Butter
- In a mixer bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 c of the flour , sugar, salt and yeast.
- In a small sauce pan heat milk and butter until it reaches a temperature between 120 - 125 degrees
- Blend milk mixture into the flour mixture on low speed with an electric mixer.add the eggs slowly and continue mixing on medium speed for 3 minutes
- Stir in the raisins and the remaining flour or use dough hooks on the mixer and mix the dough until it comes together to make a nice soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes,adding more flour if necessary, until the dough is very smooth and elastic and not sticky or as my mom use to say as "soft as a baby's butt"
- In a greased bowl , roll dough around so that all sides of the dough get greased
- Cover and let rise for an hour or until doubled in size
- Punch dough down after the hour and shape into a loaf and place in a 9x 5x3 loaf pan ( you can also divide the dough and use in mini loaf pans just adjust your cooking time a bit)
- Brush the top of the loafs with melted butter so that the crumb topping can adhere
- Cover and let rise for an additional 30 minutes
- Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until nicely browned
- if the top is getting browned to quickly lightly place a piece of foil over the top .
- Crumb topping:
- Mix together and sprinkle on top of the loaf
- I usually double the crumb topping recipe we just like it better this way but that's totally up to you
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 173g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 73||12%|
|Total Fat 8.39g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4.35g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 114.17g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||14%|