Cost per serving $0.34 view details
- For the dough:
- 450g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks plus one whole egg (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon almond essence or vanilla extract
- For the filling:
- 5-6 large Bramley Apples (peeled and chopped into cubes)
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To bake - use a 24cm x 28cm cake tin lined with baking paper.
- Pre-heat oven to 200Â°C.
- Stage One (Apple filling)
- Stew the apples and filling ingredients in a pan for five minutes or so until they are lightly stewed but not too mushy. Leave to cool. You could do this in advance.
- Stage Two (Make the dough)
- (Use a food processor if possible, if not, knead well by hand)
- Combine the flour and baking powder and mix well. Add the butter and mix again. Add caster sugar, egg yolks and egg, plain yoghurt, almond essence or vanilla extract and lemon zest and pulse until a dough forms.
- Split the dough - take 1/3 wrap it in cling film and place it in the freezer.
- Take the remaining 2/3 and either roll out or take pieces and place it in the bottom of your cake tin so that it is covered and there are no gaps showing. If necessary, use your knuckles to press the dough down until it is fairly flat.
- Prick the dough with a fork and bake (uncovered) for 10-15 minutes in the oven. It should be golden and a little bit firm but not fully cooked.
- Take it out of the oven and turn the oven down to 180Â°C.
- Stage Three (Filling and topping)
- Spoon your stewed apples onto the cooked dough in the tin.
- Take the 1/3 dough from the freezer and grate (like a block of cheese).
- Sprinkle the grated dough over the apples in the tin and bake in the oven for a further 40-50 minutes (at the lower temperature).
- Once cooked, take out the tin and leave to cool, then slice.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 94g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 182||52%|
|Total Fat 20.78g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 12.95g||52%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 35.26g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|