Beans and legumes are a staple of the vegetarian diet. Both contain large amounts of protein and are also high in dietary fiber. When mixed with grains they become a complete protein. I have made this particular lentil recipe for many years and usually eat it with brown rice. I decided to see how well the lentils would go smothered over polenta. Not bad for a first time. The polenta recipe I used was right off the back of the bag of yellow corn meal. I cut the recipe off the back of the bag to save because this is really a tasty polenta.
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 stick butter (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 cup lentils
- water or veggie broth enough to cover the lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced
- 1/4 cup green pepper chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Polenta
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the corn meal slowly stirring all the while so it doesnât get lumpy. Turn the heat down to low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in both the cheeses and blend well.
- Allow to cool and then pour into a shallow 10Ã10 prepared glass dish.
- At this point you can eat the polenta warm (itâs yummy) or refrigerate it to until it sets.
- When you are ready to use the polenta, slice it into squares, saute each side in a little bit of olive.
- For the Lentils
- Put the lentils in a large pot and add water to cover, bring to a boil and then turn to low, partially cover the pan and let simmer for 40 minutes. Add more water or broth if necessary so that the lentils donât dry out.
- In a skillet saute the veggies in a little bit of olive oil.
- Add the veggies and tomatoes with juice to the lentils and mix, heat on low until hot.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 289g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 155||36%|
|Total Fat 17.56g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 10.35g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 48.46g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.7g||39%|