I use pomegranate or cherry flavored cranberries in my cookies.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Servings: 4 dozen
Cost per serving $0.53 view details
- 3/4 cup dried currants or dried blueberries*
- Grappa (or brandy) as needed
- 1 and 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup instant or fine polenta
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (plus additional for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Place the dried fruit in a small saucepan, and pour enough brandy to come up at least halfway to the currants (or blueberries)*.
- Heat until boiling, and then cover and take off the heat.
- Set aside to let the fruit plump and cool.
- Place the flour, polenta, sugar, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on low speed for about 30 seconds to combine them.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and egg yolk to break them up, then whisk in the melted butter and lemon zest.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed to combine thoroughly, about 1 minute.
- Add the fruit and their liquid and beat them into the dough on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, flatten it into a disk, wrap it in plastic, and chill until it is firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray or butter or line them with parchment paper.
- To form the cookies, use lightly floured fingers to pull off tablespoonfuls of dough and shape each one into a small, plump log about 1 and 1/2 inches long.
- Press the log down to flatten it and pinch the ends together to taper them, creating a diamond shape.
- Place the diamonds on the baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cookies lightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown around the edges and firm to the touch, rotating the sheets 180 degrees halfway through the baking time to ensure even browning.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 1 or 2 minutes, then use a spatula to remove them gently to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1week.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 83g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 22||9%|
|Total Fat 2.43g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.8g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.74g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|