Cost per serving $0.80 view details
- You will need 2.5m unwaxed kitchen string and one 60cm square of unbleached calico cloth (see notes & tips).
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1kg dried mixed fruit
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
- Combine flour, sugar and fruit in a large bowl. Combine bicarbonate of soda and 2 cups hot water in a large jug. Add bicarbonate mixture to fruit mixture. Using a flat-bladed butter knife, mix until combined. Cover with plastic wrap. Store in a cool place overnight.
- Wearing rubber gloves, dip a calico cloth in boiling water. Boil for 1 minute. Remove cloth. Squeeze out excess water. Spread cloth on bench. Rub 1/2 cup plain flour into centre of cloth to cover around 40cm in diameter (leave flour a little thicker in the centre of cloth where the 'skin' on the pudding will need to be thickest).
- Stir pudding mixture. Place in centre of cloth. Gather cloth around pudding, avoiding deep pleats. Tie cloth tightly with string as close to mixture as possible. Pour water into a large saucepan until two-thirds full. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Gently lower pudding into water. Suspend pudding by tying string to pan handles. Ensure water covers pudding at all times (add more boiling water if needed). Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Boil for 3 hours.
- Remove pudding from pan. Place in a colander. Remove string and carefully start peeling back cloth, scraping the 'skin' back onto the pudding with a palette knife if necessary. Invert pudding onto a plate. Peel cloth away completely. Stand for 15 minutes. Serve.
- Serve with custard, brandy cream, double cream or ice-cream.
- If calico cloth is new, soak in cold water overnight. Drain, squeezing out excess liquid. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Boil cloth for 20 minutes. Rinse well. Cloth will be ready for use.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 157g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 4||2%|
|Total Fat 0.43g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.06g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.51g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|