Inspired by the generous plum pickings off my friend's bountiful fruit tree. The essence of lemon and almonds were brought in through premium extracts. The bonus is that there’s no electric mixer required either.
. NON-GLUTEN version: The amount of All-Purpose Flour can also be substituted fully with the exact quantity of Sorghum flour. GF baking powder should be used as well.
For a dedicated post...refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . 2 cups (285g) All-Purpose flour
- . 2 tsp. (10ml) baking powder
- . 1/4 tsp. (1ml) salt
- . 4 large eggs
- . 1/2 cup (105g) granulated sugar
- . 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar, packed
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk*
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil (grape seed preferred)
- . 1 tbsp. (15ml) lemon extract
- . 1 tbsp. (15ml) almond extract
- . 28 small plums, halved and thickly sliced
- . * Homemade buttermilk:
- For about every 1 cup (250ml) needed...first add 1 tbsp. (15ml) of EITHER white vinegar, cider vinegar or lemon juice. To that, now add the rest in the amount of milk to complete the volume required in the recipe. Let the milk rest for 10 minutes so that it thickens. Afterwards, give it a light stir before pouring into the recipe.
- Use a large, rounded 10 x 2 in. (26 x 5cm) shallow, oven-proof dish or other cake pan. Pre-heat at 350F/180C/Gas4. Position oven rack on the second level from the bottom.
- . In a medium bowl, put together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- . In another large bowl, whisk the eggs briskly. Add both sugars and whisk until dissolved. Add the buttermilk, the oil, as well as both lemon and almond extracts. Continue whisking to combine. At this point, add the flour mix gradually (preferably through a sieve) and whisk in until it's completely combined. Do not over-mix. Set aside while preparaing the plum slices.
- . Afterwards, pour half the batter into an oiled cake pan. Sparingly and lightly place half the amount of plum slices. Pour the rest of the batter and repeat for the remaining plum slices throughout the surface. This will keep them above the batter as the cake bakes. Otherwise the plums would sink and not be as decoratively visible.
- . Bake for 50-55 minutes in a light colored baking pan or 45-50 minutes in a darker one.
- . This cake is best enjoyed at room temperature. Do not leave it out for more than two days. Big slices of cake freeze very well. If not, refrigerate the rest for no more than a week. The cake can later be lightly warmed up on very low heat for a few minutes before serving.
- . Happy baking and flavourful wishes....FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 0g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|