I have enjoyed oatmeal cookies with cinnamon, ginger and other dessert spices added to the dough and while they are perfectly delicious, this dough doesn’t include them. I find I personally prefer an undistracted cookie that highlights the simple toastiness of the oats and the rich brown sugar- but you may certainly throw in the spices if that’s your preference. For a slightly different taste in many sweets I prefer to use tart golden raisins versus the darker ones that we’re all used to. Try golden raisins in this cookie- or for something a bit different and spectacularly yummy, try dried cherries or blueberries!
NOTE: I include two amounts for all the ingredients- the first is for a modest home yield of 24-36 cookies. The second is for a much larger Alaskan Lodge Yield of 100++ cookies.
- Â¾ c. butter/ 6 lb. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar/ 6 lb. brown sugar
- Â½ c. sugar/ 3 lb. granulated sugar
- Â½ t. salt/ 2 T. salt
- Â½ t. baking soda/ 4 T. baking soda
- 1 t. vanilla/ 6 T. vanilla
- 1 egg/ 24 eggs
- 3 c. rolled oats/ 2 gallons plus 1 qt. rolled oats
- Â½ c. raisins/ 6 c. raisins
- 1 c. flour/ 6 lb. flour
- Pre-Heat oven to 325.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars until the mixture becomes pale in color, and light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla, then the egg and mix well.
- Sift together salt, baking soda and flour, and add into butter mixture, until all flour mixture is added and incorporated nicely.
- Finally, add the oatmeal and raisins and mix until just incorporated. Size and shape dough into balls, onto parchment-lined baking sheet making sure to space a good inch or so apart, and using the palm of your hand, gently flatten slightly so that each ball of dough is now the diameter of a silver-dollar. Bake for 9-12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool, then serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 27g|
|Recipe makes 36 servings|
|Calories from Fat 39||34%|
|Total Fat 4.45g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2.55g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.88g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|