- 10 lb Small, hard green tomatoes
- 1Â 1/2 lb Red bell peppers
- 1Â 1/2 lb Green bell peppers
- 2 lb Onions
- 1/2 c. Canning or possibly pickling salt
- 1 quart Water
- 4 c. Sugar
- 1 quart Vinegar (5 percent)
- 1/3 c. Prepared yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- Yield: 7 to 9 pints
- Procedure: Wash and coarsely grate or possibly finely chop tomatoes, peppers, and onions. Dissolve salt in water and pour over vegetables in large kettle.
- Heat to boiling and simmer 5 min. Drain in colander. Return vegetables to kettle. Add in sugar, vinegar, mustard, and cornstarch. Stir to mix. Heat to boil and simmer 5 min. Fill sterile pint jars with warm relish, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. (For more information see "Jars and Lids").
- Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1.
- Table 1. Recommended process time for Pickled Green Tomato Relish in a boiling-water canner.
- Style of Pack: Warm. Jar Size: Pints. Process Time at Altitudes of 0 - 1,000 ft: 5 minutes.
- 1,001 - 6,000 ft: 10 minutes.
- Above 6,000 ft: 15 minutes.