With the remaining ingredients from the other day, there was enough to make another Philly Steak n Cheese but this time with kimchi (spicy, fermented cabbage). I have seen kimchi used successfully with other fusion dishes like tacos and pizzas (evidence from the wildly popular food trucks on the west and east coasts) so I knew it would work well with this juicy sandwich. And indeed it did. The ingredients worked really well together, the semi-sour and spicy kimchi balancing out the tanginess from the Worcestershire sauce in the meat and vegetables. All in all, a very flavorful and fulfilling sandwich with a lot of character. The only regret I have is not including more kimchi in the sandwich, which is something I won't forget to do next time.
- 1 (12 oz) flank steak, sliced thinly
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced kimchi
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup corn (optional)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 slices of block mozzarella cheese (shredded is fine)
- 4 French rolls
- 1. Place beef in freezer for 15 minutes to harden. Cut beef across the grain into thin slices. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until fully browned.
- 3. Add sliced onions, bell peppers, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce with the beef.
- 4. Cook until all the vegetables are soft.
- 5. In a separate frying pan, saute the kimchi in oil until soft. Sprinkle on 1/2 tsp of sugar.(optional)
- 5. Place the French rolls on a baking sheet or foil. Add the beef, vegetables, and kimchi to the roll, topping with desired amount of mozzarella cheese. Broil until melted or browned.
- 5. Transfer to a plate, adding ketchup if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 240g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 81||29%|
|Total Fat 9.12g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3.1g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 26.46g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|