Though we are not much of a "sandwich" family, there were a couple of Philly Cheesesteak recipes that were too good to pass up so I tried it for lunch today. To my surprise, it was painstakingly easy (oxymoron huh)and it provided a hearty meal for the wife and me. The steak strips stayed pretty moist, the bell peppers and onions soft, and the mozzarella cheese just provided that extra gooey goodness to the sandwich. Lucky for me, we had leftovers from today so I am thinking about adding some sauted kimchi to the mix and see what happens. I can't wait.....
- 1 (12 oz) flank steak, sliced thinly
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell peppper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup corn (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 slices of block mozzarella cheese (shredded is fine)
- 4 French rolls
- 1. Place beef in freezer for 15 minutes to harden. Cut beef across the grain into thin slices. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan and saute for about 3 minutes or until fully browned.
- 3. Add sliced onions, bell peppers, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce with the beef.
- 4. Cook until all the vegetables are soft.
- 5. Place the French rolls on baking sheet or foil. Add the beef and vegetables to the roll, topping with desired amount of mozzarella cheese. Broil until melt or browned.
- 5. Transfer to a plate, adding ketchup if desired.
- *While cooking the beef, it should produce liquid that can either be discarded or made thick with a sprinkle of cornstarch.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 178g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 80||30%|
|Total Fat 9.0g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3.08g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 23.71g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||7%|