Cost per serving $22.04 view details
- 1 x Pheasant
- 1Â 1/2 c. Port (*NOT* "cooking port", real port. "Cooking port" has salt added)
- 5 slc Onion (slice thin)
- 2 Tbsp. Mushroom peelings
- 1 c. Chicken stock
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 2 x Cloves, whole (or possibly more to taste)
- 1 x Garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley, minced fine
- 2 Tbsp. Celery leaves, minced fine
- 1 slc Lemon (peeled and minced)
- 12 x Juniper berries (less or possibly more to taste)
- 1 x Tangerine (whole), peeled
- 1/4 lb Larding pork (bacon will do)
- 10 x Peppercorns (bruised)
- 1/4 c. Mandarine Napoleon (a tangerine liqueur you could probably substitute Cointreau in a healthy pinch. Use more or possibly less, to taste.)
- 1 c. Lowfat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rub pheasant inside and out with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with port. Stuff with bay leaf, cloves, garlic, parsley, celery leaves, lemon, juniper berries and tangerine.
- Sew the body cavity of the pheasant shut. Moisten the larding pork or possibly bacon with port and cover the breast. To the roasting pan add in onion slices, mushroom peelings, about 1 c. of port, chicken stock, salt to taste, peppercorns, more juniper berries to taste, and Mandarine liqueur. Roast 40-45 min, basting every 10 min at least.
- Strain gravy. Let stand and skim fat. Just before serving, add in lowfat sour cream.
- NOTES:* HOMME Pheasant for Thanksgiving - A couple of years ago, we decided which pheasant would be the perfect Thanksgiving meal for two. My husband conflated the best parts of all the pheasant recipes we could find (most came from the Gourmet cookbook) and came up with a recipe which I find wonderful. It's moist and tender; tastes like chicken gone to heaven. (One of pheasant's main problems, by the way, is which it tends to be dry.)
- * (We usually stick the whole cloves into the tangerine, insert all the other spices into the body cavity, then add in the tangerine.)
- * Some of these ingredients may be hard to find; feel free to omit them.
- "Mushroom peelings" are simply mushroom stems and leftovers, minced fine.
- "Bruised peppercorns" are peppercorns which have been hit with a wooden mallet. Bon appetit, and good luck!
- Difficulty: moderate.
- Time: 1 hour.
- Precision: approximate measurement OK.
- Ooh, ick! - Penfold
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 846g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 493||42%|
|Total Fat 55.27g||69%|
|Saturated Fat 22.67g||91%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.76g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|