- 1 c. unsweetened cocoa pwdr
- 2 c. boiling water
- 2Â 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c. margarine -- softened
- 2Â 1/2 c. sugar
- 4 lrg Large eggs
- 1Â 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. light cream
- 1 c. margarine
- 2Â 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 c. heavy cream -- chilled
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- CAKE:Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 3-9" cake pans.
- In medium sized bowl, combine cocoa with boiling water, mixing with wire whisk till smooth. Cold completely.
- Sift flour with baking soda, baking pwdr, and salt.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat margarine, sugar, Large eggs, and vanilla till light, scraping bowl occasionally. At low speed, beat in flour mix alternately with cocoa mix, beginning and ending with flour. Don't overbeat.
- Divide batter proportionately into prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 min or possibly till surface springs back when touched. Cold in pan for 10 min. Carefuly loosen sides with spatula; remove from pans; cold completely on wire racks.
- FROSTING: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate, cream, and margarine; stir over medium heat till smooth. Remove from heat. With wire whisk, blend in powdered sugar. In bowl, set over ice, beat till frosting holds it shape.
- FILLING: Whip cream with powdered sugar and vanilla; chill.
- ASSEMBLE: On plate, place a layer, top side down; spread with half of the filling. Place second layer, top side down; spread with remaining filling. Place third layer, top side up. With spatula, frost sides first, covering whipped cream filling; frost remaining cake, swirling decoratively. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. To cut, use a thin edged knife and slice with a sawing motion.