This is a simple tasting but wonderful side salad. The ingredients listed are not that easy to find, but you should feel free to substitute other lettuces and herbs that are available. The green beans are important though...so include them if you can. And the dressing is a must. Mix and enjoy!
- 6 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- White wine vinegar
- 1 large curly endive (or regular endive)
- 1 bunch fresh chives
- 1 handful fresh chervil, leaves picked (or fresh Italian parsley if you can't find chervil)
- 2 handfuls slender green beans
- 2 heads Boston lettuce (or butter lettuce)
- For perfect French dressing
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher (or sea) salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place sliced shallots in a small dish. Cover them with vinegar and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Pull all the dark green endive leaves and discard. Then cut or break off the remaining leaves, wash in cold water with the chives and chervil or parsley, dry with a spinner or cloth, and place in a large salad bowl.
- Cook the beans in salted, boiling water until tender (about 8 minutes) then drain and allow to cool. Then add them to the salad. Remove the outer leaves of the Boston lettuce, wash them, and cut them into eight pieces. Add these to the bowl.
- To make the dressing, remove the shallots from the vinegar and sprinkle them over the salad leaves. Put 4 Tbsp of the left over vinegar into a medium bowl and add the mustard, garlic, a pinch of salt and whisk in the oil until the dressing emulsifies. Taste and correct for seasoning. Add the dressing to the salad, toss, and serve immediately. For presentation, you can leave the undressed salad on the table with the dressing next to it and dress just before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 192g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 124||82%|
|Total Fat 14.01g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1.95g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.84g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||14%|